Travel Journal

San Ignacio Mini

(Saturday 26 March 2011) by Mike and Julie's sort of round the world trip
Day 225-6 3/20-21/11
I decided to catch a bus after the free breakfast at the hostel. I found out it was coffee, two miniature croissants, a pad of butter, and a packet of jelly. Mmmm. At the bus station I got tickets for the next bus headings towards Posada not realizing it was a local bus and not an express bus so I spent five hours on the journey instead of three but it was okay I wasn’t in a rush.
The bus station is a couple kilometers out of town and I was shocked to see a tourist information booth that was open on a Sunday. I got a map and headed directly to a hotel in the guidebook and the rate was reasonable and there was free Wi-Fi so I settled in. I went out to buy some water and the receptionist said everything was closed because it was Sunday. It’s not a big town – hence the “Mini” in the name, but it has over 11,000 people there so some place has to be open. It took about eleven blocks to find a little kiosk that had water and when I went out to get some food later I couldn’t find any restaurants open so I skipped dinner.
Check the next morning was at noon so I headed over early to the town’s big draw, the ruins of the mission at San Ignacio Mini. The tour buses had arrived early and there was quite a crowd there. After paying 50 Pesos (thanks for not taking credit cards) I walked through the museum but as little was in English, I didn’t spend much time there. The mission initially was built 1610 by the Jesuits and had to be moved three times as the neighbors didn’t like a mission being built in their back yard but it grew to hold about three thousand inhabitants. Almost all of the visitors here were on a guided tour but luckily there were information boxes that played English narratives describing the organization of the community, the pros and cons of the native population staying there, the role of the church and details about the daily life which I found interesting. It was a rather large complex but it is, let’s face it, ruins so there wasn’t much there and I finished in a couple hours.
I checked out of the hotel and walked back towards the bus station but found a restaurant and had a really good Milanese Sandwich which is like a chicken fried steak sandwich. It was large but I was famished and finished it off in no time. At the station, I caught a bus to Posada which is a large town about an hour away which should have frequent service to Buenos Aires.
I checked a few places and decided on a bus that left at 7 PM and got in at 8 AM and was top of the line “coche-cama” and paid a premium price for it but at least it was on the credit card. Since I had some time to kill, I walked over to a parilla which is a restaurant or shop that served grilled meat and got myself a couple of chorizo sausages and a tall beer and just watched the buses go by until it was time to leave.
The bus was very comfortable and we were served food which was edible and they started a horrible movie so I put in my earplugs, put on my blinders, lowered my seat down, and pulled up the blanket. I got about eight hours of uninterrupted sleep on the bus and was ready to go when we pulled into Buenos Aires.

  • Incas by DAD

Home | Features | Sign Up | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | © 2006 - 2019
Note: Javascript is not active